Gainesville is the epicenter of North Central Florida and home to the University of Florida and UF Health medical centers. UF is the state's premier university with an enrollment of nearly 50,000 students annually, UF is home to 16 colleges and more than 150 research centers and institutes. Gainesville is also called home by Santa Fe College witch ranks first in Florida among public colleges in graduation rate and in the Top 10 nationally in the number of associate degrees awarded in liberal arts.
In addition to world class education centers Gainesville is a melting pot of art & culture. The city is called home by the Hippodrome State Theater, Dance Alive National Ballet, The Florida Museum of Natural history and The Harn Museum of Art just to name a few.
Even if you aren't a Gator fan and catching a "Title Town" division 1 basketball, football, volleyball or lacrosse game isn't your preference, you won't be disappointed because Gainesville is also home to the NHRA GatorNationals and a variety of local sporting venues to suit any sports fan. If golf is your game then don't worry Gainesville sports four 18 hole courses within 10 minutes of the city.
The heart of downtown Gainesville is known for its brick pavered streets and award winning local cuisine. You can take a stroll thru the farmer's market on a Saturday morning, enjoy an unforgettable meal with friends or take a horse an carriage ride thru the historic duck pond on a crisp fall evening. Just to the west of downtown is the storybook setting of the Award winning Haile Village where you will find everything from the Village Jeweler to the local Bistro the serves a full English tea on the first Saturday of the month!
Just a few reasons why Gainesville is a GREAT place to call home!
- SmartMoney.com ranks Gainesville # 1 place to retire during an economic downturn
- Forbes ranks Gainesville in the top 25 "Smartest cities in America" and in the top 25 "Best places to do business and have a career"
- Popular Science magazine ranks Gainesville "Most Technologically Advanced City in Florida"
- National Geographic Adventure magazine ranks Gainesville among the top 10 "Best places to live and play"
- AARP ranks Gainesville in the top 20 "Best Places to Reinvent Your Life"
- Gainesville ranked #1 in the newest Sperling's "Cities Ranked & Rated: 400 Metropolitan Areas Evaluated in the U.S. and Canada".